Family Equality Council connects, supports, and represents the three million parents who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer in this country and their six million children. We are changing attitudes and policies to ensure that all families are respected, loved, and celebrated—including families with parents who are LGBTQ. We are a community of parents and children, grandparents and grandchildren that reaches across this country. For 30 years we have raised our children and raised our voices toward fairness for all families.
Why we are needed
- Parents who are LGBTQ care about the same things all parents do—hugs and homework, bedtime and bath time.
- These moms and dads want the same things for their children that all parents do—respect, protection, celebration, and a bright future.
- These moms and dads are raising their children to love their country, stand up for their friends, treat others the way they would like to be treated, and tell the truth.
- The truth is, society discriminates against these parents and their children based on their parents’ love for each other.
- Too often, the law treats these family members as strangers.
- Family Equality Council looks forward to a day when all families are valued for their commitment to each other.
Because of Our Work:
- Moms and dads who are LGBTQ come together in a strong community that provides friendship, good advice, and support—just like any other community of parents.
- Children with parents who are LGBTQ can meet, play, and make friends with other children who have LGBTQ moms and dads.
- LGBTQ men and women can find information on starting a family, adopting, or becoming foster parents—and children can find forever families.
- More Americans know a family with parents who are LGBTQ — and realize how much we have in common.
- Children are safer from bullying.
- More schools, places of worship, hospitals and clinics, and government agencies treat families with parents who are LGBTQ the respect that all families deserve.
- The law more often recognizes all the moms and dads who have made the commitment to be parents.
- We are creating a world where all loving families are recognized, respected, protected, and celebrated.