communications professional? Family Equality Council is looking for
a Director of Communications. See the job description below and be
a part of our amazing team!
Family Equality Council
Job Title: Director of Communications
Reporting to: Executive Director
Founded in 1979, Family Equality Council is the national
organization exclusively dedicated to securing justice and equality
for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) parents and
their children by advancing social justice for all families. We
work to achieve social and legal equality for LGBT families by
providing direct support, educating the American public, and
advancing policy reform that ensures full recognition and
protection under the law.
Family Equality Council has launched an aggressive strategic plan
that will grow the organization, its budget and staff through 2012.
The Director of Communications is responsible for developing and
implementing an organization wide communications strategy. This
position is responsible for organizational marketing, branding,
messaging, media relations, web management and e-communication.
This position will plan and direct the work of the Web 2.0
Associate. In addition, the Director of Communications will serve
as a member of the Senior Leadership team which works in strategic
coordination with the Executive Director to move the organization
forward, to achieve the milestones of the strategic plan and ramp
the impact of the organization.
• Develops and implements communication and media strategies that
successfully deliver key messages and information to the public,
elected officials, supporters and donors.
• Develops and maintains strong and productive relationships with
print, broadcast and electronic media. Ensures the organization is
understood by the media and the media are interested in presenting
information to the public in a manner that informs and educates
them accurately on the organization and the families we serve.
• Proactively and reactively pitches story ideas to national,
local and specialized media outlets, coordinates and schedules
press interviews and appearances, writes press releases, media
advisories, op-eds, pitch letters and speeches, prepares and
updates media packets, maintains and updates FEC media list
• Provides or secures (pro bono) ongoing media training to the
Executive Team and key volunteers. Ensures management and
volunteers have the skills and confidence to deliver appropriate
messages during interviews with the media.
• Researches, measures and evaluates the success of public
• Develops organizational and issue-specific talking points and
ensures that all staff and Board are using consistent messaging in
all print, web and in-person communication.
Marketing and Communications:
• In consultation with the Executive Team and departmental staff,
develops and recommends an annual plan for Marketing and
Communication. The plan will set out objectives, plans, and
specific activities to be pursued in each area of responsibility.
This plan will be developed in the context of the organization’s
strategic plan and will be directed at supporting the objectives
established in the plan.
• Develops a marketing strategy that effectively promotes the
organization, educates the public and maximizes the organization’s
• In conjunction with the Director of Advancement, leads an
organization-wide process to develop, implement and continually
refresh a messaging and positioning platform.
• Directs market research activities in order to keep abreast of
changing demographics and other relevant issues in order to
evaluate marketing and communication activities and to monitor
• Builds upon and grows FEC brand and messages and identifies new
opportunities and strategies to promote the organization.
• Oversees design, content and production of all communications
materials, including: quarterly and annual reports, brochures,
policy reports, public service announcements and video scripts
• Develops communication materials, by collaborating with the
Advancement Department, in support of FEC’s fund-raising
• Assists Public Policy and Advancement Departments as well as
the Events Team with program and events-specific marketing and
• Develops and maintain web site content
• Works in partnership with the Public Policy department to build
and grow on-line community
• Implements a cohesive and strategic plan for optimizing the use
of Web 2.0 and social media technologies
• Updates organizational Web site, blog, Facebook page, Executive
Director’s Twitter account, and others to keep fresh, newsworthy
content accessible to current and prospective supporters
• Manages e-communication to e-news list, donors, and others on a
regular basis and as needed in coordination with the Advancement
and Public Policy Departments.
• Ensures the development of promotional plans and manages the
annual promotional budget.
• Manages the use of external resources as they pertain to the
marketing and communications function (e.g. graphic designers,
printers, Web services, etc.)
• Supervises and makes decisions relative to the selection,
promotion, utilization, retention and compensation of the Web 2.0
• Makes presentations to the Board on Marketing and Communication
strategies and activities.
• Supervises and coordinates services of outside public relations
agencies hired in support of FEC campaigns
• Manages vendor relationships in support of the communications
All candidates must have a “can do” attitude, enjoy a
fast-paced environment, be highly organized without losing sight of
larger objectives, and be committed to justice and equality for
LGBT families. Candidate must be a strong communicator, have
excellent written, presentation, oral communications and
interpersonal skills. Individual must possess strong leadership
skills, be able to motivate and influence others. Individual must
be able to think creatively and strategically, have excellent
judgment work in a changing environment.
Other qualifications include:
• University graduate in business, marketing, communications or
an equivalent combination of education, training and expertise.
• Individual must possess a minimum of 5 years combined
management and communications experience in an organization
involving a significant number of people with diverse and varied
interests and backgrounds.
• Experience must include communication planning and management,
marketing and media relations, Web 2.0, social media.
• Sensitive to diversity and able to work respectfully with wide
array of co-workers and members of the community.
To apply, please forward letter of interest, resume and references
Family Equality Council
PO Box 206
Boston, MA 02133
For more information on Family Equality Council please visit our
website at www.familyequality.org.
We enjoy working in a team-based environment and value the benefits
of a diversified workplace. Women, people of color, transgender
individuals and members of other underrepresented populations are
strongly encouraged to apply. Family Equality Council is an equal
employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on
age, citizenship, color, creed, physical or mental disability
(including HIV status), ethnicity, family responsibilities, gender
identity and expression, marital status, matriculation, national
origin, physical appearance, race, religion, political affiliation,
sex, sexual orientation, union membership, veteran status or other
unlawful factors, with respect to recruiting, hiring, job
assignment, promotion, discipline, discharge, compensation,
training and other terms, conditions and privileges of