Job Title: Chief Communications Officer
Location: Flexible – Ability to set up a home office is required
Reporting to: Chief Executive Officer
Salary: $95,000 – $105,000
Founded in 1979, Family Equality’s mission is to advance legal and lived equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) families, and for those who wish to form them, through building community, changing hearts and minds, and driving policy change.
We envision a future where all LGBTQ+ families, regardless of creation or composition, live in communities that recognize, respect, protect, and value them. We envision a world in which everyone has the right and should have the opportunity to form and sustain a loving family, regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, race, religion, national origin, geography, socioeconomic status, disability, or the intersection of those characteristics. Finally, we envision systems of service and support that are free of discrimination and that maximize opportunities for youth needing permanency and LGBTQ+ adults seeking family formation.
Family Equality is seeking a skilled and proven Chief Communications Officer to join our executive team and fully weave communications strategy into the fabric of our programs, policy, and fundraising efforts, coach a high-performing team, and chart the future of Family Equality’s communications.
Family Equality’s Chief Communications Officer will oversee day-to-day communications and marketing in the organization in addition to developing long-term strategies that increase community engagement, reach, and impact of Family Equality’s mission and priorities.
Strategy & Leadership
Serve as high-level strategic advisor, leading the charge on planning, developing, and executing communications, marketing, and digital strategies ensuring Family Equality’s messages are consistent across all touchpoints and audiences
- Develop and manage messages that support Family Equality’s mission, vision, and values, and deliver to internal and external audiences
- Supervise outside vendors relating to website management
- Establish clear benchmarks and metrics for success, evaluating progress and regularly reporting out to leadership
- Develop and implement a strategic vision for communications across all platforms and departments
- Responsibly manage the communications budget
- Create content that ensures Family Equality remains a thought leader in LGBTQ+ family discourse.
Media & External Relations
- Seek opportunities to enhance the impact and reach of the organization’s brand and coordinate publicity events as required
- Respond to media inquiries, arrange interviews, and act as a spokesperson for the organization
- Collaborate with the Chief of Staff to develop criteria, policies, and processes regarding CEO speaking engagements.
- Lead the development and delivery of news to broadcast, print, and online media to create media coverage
- Develop, coordinate, and monitor the crisis communication plan and implementation
- Act as a thought partner around communications for initiatives developed by Program, Policy, and Development departments
Marketing and Communications
- Increase Family Equality’s digital presence and messaging across platforms while effectively utilizing SEO and SEM
- Oversee production of print materials, digital, advocacy alerts, media outreach, newsletters, donor communications, social media, special event collateral, and other content with a keen eye to brand and voice.
- Align all communications with Family Equality’s commitment to racial, disability, and gender equity.
All candidates must have a “can-do” attitude, enjoy a fast-paced environment, be highly organized without losing sight of larger objectives, and be committed to justice and equality for LGBTQ+ families.
- A bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, or a related field preferred – however, Family Equality also values critical skills and relevant experience;
- Experience implementing comprehensive communications and marketing plan for a mission-driven organization preferred;
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills; a natural storyteller and creative problem solver; native in both digital and physical worlds; a collaborator with a constant curiosity and a learning mentality who likes to execute on the tactics as much as setting the strategy
- Demonstrated leadership skills and success in managing a team;
- Extensive knowledge of the challenges faced by LGBTQ+ families;
- Experience in PESO (Paid, Earned, Shared and Owned) Communication strategies and channels;
- Experience in developing Executive Communications for CEO;
- Ability to lead crisis communication efforts, if required;
- Experience planning and managing both small and large-scale projects with excellent organizational skills;
- Experience working effectively with broadcast, online, and print media, including serving as an organizational spokesperson;
- Strong knowledge of the current digital landscape and platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, and Tiktok
- Ability to handle and prioritize appropriately multiple tasks in a timely, efficient, and flexible manner;
- Ability to collaborate on projects with staff from other departments, and a high level of personal investment in contributing to the overall organizational priorities;
- Willingness to travel as needed;
- Ability to work from a fully-connected home office (or must secure own office space);
- Demonstrated experience working in the LGBTQ+ or allied movements is preferred; commitment and desire to working in a multicultural environment where diversity based on race, ethnic origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, physical ability, family status, socioeconomic status, and other characteristics is an important and practiced value is essential.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit an application on Idealist.
Family Equality provides a team-based environment and we value the benefits of a diversified workplace.
Women, people of color, transgender individuals and members of other underrepresented populations are strongly encouraged to apply.
Family Equality is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on age, citizenship, color, creed, physical or mental disability (including HIV status), ethnicity, family responsibilities, gender identity and expression, marital status, matriculation, national origin, physical appearance, race, religion, political affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, union membership, veteran status or other unlawful factors, with respect to recruiting, hiring, job assignment, promotion, discipline, discharge, compensation, training and other terms, conditions and privileges of employment.