The Pennsylvania LGBTQ Family Law Guide resource provides LGBTQ-headed families and LGBTQ adults considering forming families with detailed and accessible explanations of the current status of federal and state law, including recognition of same-sex marriages, parental rights, adoption, applying for documentation for children, nondiscrimination protections, school policies, healthcare, parental leave, and more. The guide also includes a list of legal documents it is recommended that all LGBTQ families secure in order to ensure their rights and wishes are respected.
This report is the result of a partnership between Family Equality Council and Equality Pennsylvania Education Fund.
- Relationship recognition
- Children and parentage
- Surrogacy, assisted reproduction, & artificial insemination
- Birth certificates for children of same-sex couples
- Applying for a social security number and card for a child
- Applying for a passport for a child
- Non-discrimination protections
- Public accommodations
- School policies and anti-bullying
- Family and/or parenting leave
- Changes of name and gender
- Hate crimes protections
- Recommended legal documents for same-sex couples