The Outspoken Generation
Family Equality Council's Outspoken Generation program strives to empower those with one or more lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or queer (LGBTQ) parents to speak out about our community’s families. Every day these advocates are sharing their stories and promoting family equality on the local, state, and national levels.
For over 30 years many of us have been raising our children to tell the truth, love their country, and be good neighbors. Today, our children are telling their own truths, helping to dispel hateful myths and misinformation about our families, and truly changing the national dialogue about real family values.
The Outspoken Generation program is currently co-chaired by Ella Robinson, daughter of the first openly-gay bishop, Gene Robinson, and internationally-recognized LGBTQ family activist, Zach Wahls.
Outspoken Generation Highlights To-Date:
- Every day members of the Outspoken Generation are finding new and creative ways to tell their stories – check out this great video by Outspoken member, Kinsey Morrison, Sanctity!
- 100's of stories of Outspoken Generation members have been used in amicus briefs filed in court cases across the country, including those recently associated with both the DOMA and Prop 8 cases before the Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS). These briefs were key to victory and the Outspoken Generation’s influence was clearly shown in the opinion striking down DOMA, where Justice Kennedy wrote: ”[DOMA] humiliates tens of thousands of children now being raised by same-sex couples. The law in question makes it even more difficult for the children to understand the integrity and closeness of their own family and its concord with other families in their community and in their daily lives.”
- Members of the Outspoken Generation participated in the national Breakthrough Conversations Project, documenting thousands of personal discussions with friends, relatives, teachers, colleagues and numerous others within their communities about LGBTQ equality issues.
- Members of the Outspoken Generation have been featured in national mainstream news outlets, such as on The Katie Couric Show, in The Huffington Post, and on NPR.
- Members of the Outspoken Generation program have been welcomed to the White House for their prestigious annual event for Emerging Leaders in the LGBTQ Community.
- Members of the Outspoken Generation program have been featured in national publications, such as The Advocate and Cosmopolitan magazine.
- The Outspoken Generation program itself continues to receive significant media coverage, including coverage in Huffington Post, Perez Hilton, Towleroad, Good as You, Joe.My.God, The Take Away, AfterEllen, Elle & CBN News.